Thread: Target Victim of Massive Hack affecting physical store purchasers

Default Target Victim of Massive Hack affecting physical store purchasers

In case you haven't seen this:

The breach was restricted only to Target's physical stores, so online shoppers are (ironically) safe in this case, but anyone who shopped in a Target store between the week of Black Friday (November 27th) through until the breach was discovered and sealed on December 15th may have had their information stolen.

The data collected includes credit and debit card numbers, expiration dates, CVV codes (the three-digit security code on the back of your card), and customer names.
    More here: http://lifehacker.com/target-hacked-...ium=socialflow

Thanks, Irene. I haven't shopped there during the specified time, but I know two of my nieces did, and I'm sending them the link.

This seems to happen all too often these days.

Earlier this year, DH's debit card info was stolen via a software hack at the "chain" gas station where he always buys gas. It affected thousands of people in several states in the southeast. Even though I check our accounts online on a daily basis, within just a matter of hours, the thieves managed to make a copycat card and used it multiple times on a shopping spree on the way to, and in, Atlanta. It was an absolute nightmare getting our money back, and in the end, our bank got themselves fired for their incompentence in handling the situation. (Just one example (there were MANY): we had specifically declined overdraft protection when we opened the accounts, but the bank goofed and turned overdraft protection on anyway. That resulted in them dipping into our savings account when the debit card account ran dry. They admitted their mistake, but their response was along the lines of "oops, our bad, oh well!".) We also filed a police report, but was told that these types of thieves are rarely caught. One of my Facebook friends had the exact same experience (same hacking incident, same bank). I was a squeaky wheel and stayed on top of them the whole time, but I don't think she was as determined as I was. Last time I talked to her (about 3-4 months after the incident) she STILL hadn't gotten her money back. Hopefully she has by now.

When we changed banks, we opened up three accounts at a highly-rated local credit union: a savings account, a checking account that DH's paycheck is direct-deposited into, and another checking account that has a debit card tied to it. (We have it in writing that the accounts are NOT linked and that overdraft protection is OFF.) We transfer money to the debit card account on an as-needed basis, just minutes before we actually use the card, so there is no more than $20 or so in that account at any given time. Even if someone manages to steal the debit card info, they won't get very far with that $20. All that said, we use cash for local purchases 99% of the time now. For the most part, our debit cards only get used online occasionally at Amazon and PayPal. So far, so good.

Hope this latest theft didn't affect anyone here.

I read somewhere that these thieves tend to think this is a victimless crime because people eventually get their money back from the bank. That's generally true, especially with credit cards, but in the case of debit cards, it can cause a hardship for people while they're waiting on the bank to replace the money that was stolen. Either way (debit card or credit card), it ultimately costs all customers in the form of higher bank fees, etc.

I shopped at target once that I know of during that time...maybe twice. so far nothing amiss in the bank account. I used my target red card (their debit card) which comes out of my checking account..

HOPEFULLY nothing WILL go wrong.........no time to deal with it, lol!
    Cats regard people as warm blooded furniture.

My ebay store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/flutterbe...rapy-and-gifts

My ETSY Shop: http://lowe40.etsy.com

Only our daughters shop at Target, but they don't believe they were there during the period in question.
    Our son got nailed last year at a local gas station up at the corner with one of those "wireless card reader" things.
    They tried purchasing a $3,000 computer, not realizing that it was a DEBIT card and the kid had less than $50 in his account.
    The bank (Chase) called nearly immediately. (Kudos to them!)
    It's getting to be a good idea to go back to plain old cash again.

Edited to add: if you have the misfortune of being one of the possible victims, and you get a notification from Target with an offer for a free year of credit monitoring, TAKE IT!
    Also, if you used a debit card, change your password TODAY (if you haven't already) and watch your statements/bank accounts LIKE A HAWK for the next year.

Here in Canada and in Europe the banks have switched to issuing debit and credit cards with embedded security chips in them. The cards are inserted into the reader and stay there while the owner keys in the required info. The cards are supposed to be a lot safer used this way than by using the magnetic strip. However, in the case of this Target hack, it's not clear if an embedded chip would have protected the purchaser.

I am surprised that the hackers obtained CVV codes. I didn't realize those codes were part of the information conveyed by the magnetic strip on cards.

I lucked out as I didn't charge at Target during that time period.
    My heart (and the rest of me) is back in San Francisco.

Thanks Irene. I don't have a Target close to me, but DD shops there frequently ...I sent her the link to the story.

Wow - the story is getting worse.

Credit-card data stolen during a massive data breach at Target last month is hitting the black market, according to multiple reports.

Cybersecurity firm Easy Solutions "noticed a 10- to 20-fold increase in the number of high-value stolen cards on black market websites, from nearly every bank and credit union," The New York Times reported. Easy Solutions did not immediately respond to Mashable's request for comment.

Security blogger Brian Krebs, who broke the original story about the Target hack, also reported on Friday that thieves have been selling batches of 1 million cards at "$20 to more than $100 per card."
    http://mashable.com/2013/12/21/targe...m-Tw-main-link

Well, the news certainly didn't keep folks from JAMMING into our local Target today.
    The place was ABSOLUTELY PACKED!!!

Maybe they feel that lighting won't strike twice.
    My heart (and the rest of me) is back in San Francisco.

and the 10% off storewide probably didn't hurt either
    Cats regard people as warm blooded furniture.

My ebay store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/flutterbe...rapy-and-gifts

My ETSY Shop: http://lowe40.etsy.com

Irene-I heard that all of the cc here in the US are supposed to have the chips by 2015. The magnetic strips are too dangerous. Thankfully I didn't shop there during that time with a cc-just cash for their 1.00 calendar I get my mom every year

There is NO real punishment for those who steal info like this.
    ♥The sound of rice krispies talking in heaven can be heard in the hearts of all. ♥

Opening a CapitalOne360 no fees/no minimum account? Referral bonus(25.00-50.00) for you(and me, too) https://r.capitalone360.com/TYq1mhwFif